Monday, June 24, 2013

Cheesy Potato & Sausage Casserole

Who doesn't love cheesy potatoes & sausage?! I think this meal will appeal to almost anyone who loves meat & cheese!


This was my second time preparing this recipe. Even though it seems like a lot of steps, it is really quite easy to make!

I like it because #1: the sausage is skinless and #2: I can add in Mootopia milk for an added 24g of protein and less sugar! (If you are not familiar with Mootopia milk, click on "My Weightloss" tab at the top for more information)

You will need:
~ 1 lb. of Idaho potatoes (3 cups), peeled, boiled, and cut into cubes once cool (I just used 2 potatoes)
1 lb. Skinless Smoked Sausage (Eckrich brand is good)
4 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. flour
2 cups of milk (I use Mootopia as noted above)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed (it is 1/4 of a whole Velveeta block)
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/8 tsp. paprika (*I couldn't find my paprika the 2nd time so I used cayenne instead and no one could tell)

To Make Dish:
1. Put your prepared cubed potatoes into a lightly sprayed 2 quart casserole dish
2. Cut each sausage link in half (lengthwise) and then cut into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch "half moon" bites. Cook in a skillet for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently until golden brown
3. Add sausage to the potatoes in the casserole dish, stir to mix in
4. In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together all the remaining ingredients (EXCEPT for the shredded cheese and paprika) until melted and smooth.
5. Pour the melted cheese mixture into the casserole dish and stir to coat evenly.
6. Top with shredded cheese and paprika
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes until top is golden brown
This dish can be very hot, especially when serving to children to please allow it to cool down some before serving!

This dish is toddler approved too! Scarlett (17 mo.) cleared her whole serving faster than I could sit down!!
My husband ate this reheated later that night once he got home from work and his exact comment was "this is awesome"!


No comments: