Friday, September 14, 2012

Drum Roll Please...

I have been in hiding since last week. After applying for my board exam (which was estimated to take 3-4 weeks to process) I had received an email just 2 days later saying my letter to test would be in the mail in the next 3 days. Then I had "mini-meltdown" #1! I came to terms with this happening sooner than I thought and was thankful it wasn't going to take forever to be able to test. I soon got the letter in the mail with instructions on how to schedule my board exam. I sat down and pulled up the calendar of available dates (they only offer 2  testing times per day) and then started at the screen. Then came "mini-meltdown" #2! It was either take the board exam before Emma's party (so I could finish planning and relax for it) or take it after (which wouldn't give be any extra studying time b/c I'd be hosting Emma's party and house guests). After a number of tears and some support from Cody, we picked a date: 9/13/12 (10 days from that day). After that I made a daily study plan of what to accomplish each day leading up to the exam. Then I studied...and studied...and studied. I have never studied that hard for anything in my life. Somewhere in there I had "mini-meltdown" #3. I was waking up in the morning with daily headaches from the stress. The night before and the morning of the exam I wanted to be sick! 

Needless to say, yesterday was my test date and I didn't want anyone to know about it till it was over. I didn't want the pressure and suspense on me (in case I failed it, to be honest). The test was at 9am at a testing facility. I show up early to check in (all nervous) and they don't open the doors till 8:58am...really?! My exam was 175 questions with a 3 hour timed window. After I finished my exam I received instructions to leave the testing room and find the proctor for my results. I meet her in her office and hover over her printer while it decides to print. 

This is what I was handed...
PASS

I was SO thrilled but in shock still I think. This single piece of paper changes my career, who I am, my life. I am now a Women's Health Nurse Practitioner!!!! 

I still have to apply through the State Board of Nursing for my APRN (advance practice RN) license number and prescriptive authority, which I can't do until I get the official score report in the mail from my exam. 

I would like to genuinely thank those who supported me through this long process. I could not have accomplished this without some very important people in my life. You know who you are & THANK YOU!!!! 



No comments: